Re: 2821bis and address rewriting (was: Re: Fixing graylisting [was TBR])

2007-11-19 16:04:22
On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 22:13:35 EST, John C Klensin said:
(2) I fear someone coming along and saying "well, I know how to
avoid mail loops, so that statement doesn't apply to me".  There
are reasons for not messing with null return paths, including
their being an important clue for various automated programs,
that has nothing to do with mail loops (at least directly).

Amen to that.  Over the years, I've had to explain to a *lot* of people that
"No, that piece of mail with MAIL FROM:<> isn't a bounce message. Yes, it's
correct".       Seems people have problems wrapping their tiny little brains
around the idea that <> is useful for other things - in this particular case,
it was a mailing list manager that sent out all the "Please reply to this
message to confirm your request" messages with <> specifically because it
did *not* want to hear back if there was a problem (as the request would just
time out all by itself anyhow).