Re: 2821bis and address rewriting

2007-11-20 22:02:22

Valdis(_dot_)Kletnieks(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu wrote:
On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 19:02:01 EST, Hector Santos said:
Dave Crocker wrote:

Almost makes one wish that real bounce messages were distinguished by something other than the 2821.mailfrom address...
Isn't this already done by most systems via the x822.From header address user part having mainly 'mailer-daemon'?

Yes, but that's a layering issue - you really *don't* want to have to poke
around in the 822 headers to find a 821-style return address (especially
since if you *do* that sort of grovelling, you will almost certainly Do The
Wrong Thing if you ever get a bounce with an 822-From *other* than
Mailer-Daemon).

Ok. I thought this 2821bis "update" concern was regarding automated bots altering a NULL return path (an implied post smtp concept). But yes, I see your point.

Maybe an ESMTP I-D for a new MAIL FROM modifier?

  C: MAIL FROM: <> [EFA=Email From Address]

Also, isn't it a "requirement" (and also one of the "security" issues wrt spam), that a NULL return path must be accepted assuming RCPT TO passes some possible validation, if any? This may make an I-D proposal a mute issue.

--
Hector Santos
http://www.santronics.com