Re: 2821bis and address rewriting (was: Re: Fixing graylisting [was TBR])

2007-11-18 18:46:27

Hi John,
At 18:51 17-11-2007, ned+ietf-smtp(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com wrote:
>Agreed. But it needs to be clear that this applies to autoforwarders. How
>about adding "and SHOULD NOT add a non-null reverse path to such a message
>when forwarding".

I suggest the following change to Section 4.5.5 (Messages with a null
reverse-path):

     If a reverse-path is null, it SHOULD NOT be modified as that is likely
     to cause a mail loop.

I think citing loop prevention as the reason for this recommendation is a good
idea, but think this overstates things a bit - it creates a condition where
loops are possible, but not necessarily likely. So change it to say "SHOULD NOT
be modified as this can cause mail loops" and I'm happy.

                                Ned