Re: New Issue: NOOP clarification

2007-11-29 13:36:31

Valdis(_dot_)Kletnieks(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu wrote:
On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 13:38:50 EST, Hector Santos said:

    For example, a command such as NOOP, whose successful execution does
    not offer the SMTP client any new information, will return a 250
    reply.  The reply is 502 when the command requests an unimplemented
    non-site-specific action.  A refinement of that is the 504 reply for
    a command that is implemented, but that requests an unimplemented
    parameter.

Note that a *valid* 421 due to a server shutdown or similar incident *does*
offer the SMTP client new information - the fact that a shutdown or temporary
issue has commenced.  So the "will return a 250" only matters if the
server *doesn't* have anything new to say - but it's totally free to signal
a new condition via a 421 or similar.

Sorry, it is clear my mindset is little different and probably explains why i have to waste my time and every else's time with details that really shouldn't apply here. Atleast to me it doesn't.

I didn't ask for a SPECIFICATION CHANGE as John think I did. I thought I was inline with the level of simply, non-protocol changing semantical and codificaton being done here for 2821bis If not, maybe I am wrong.

I didn't think I have to go DEEP into explaining why because one can just look at the current statement and say "hhmmmm, maybe there might be some ambiguity here if the reader hasn't caught on yet, that NOOP pretty much requires a 250 or atleast it SHOULD be 250 as it futher indicated in section 4.2.1. Reply Code Severities and Theory.

   For example, a command such as NOOP, whose successful execution does
   not offer the SMTP client any new information, will return a 250
   reply.  The reply is 502 when the command requests an unimplemented
   non-site-specific action.  A refinement of that is the 504 reply for
   a command that is implemented, but that requests an unimplemented
   parameter.

I didn't think it mattered if it was proxy or bug or that the line was too long or too short.

Even if it was appropriate to issue 421, regarding of the string, the issue was not a CLIENT compatibility problem. The client did what it suppose to do. It issued QUIT to end the session.

It had nothing to do with any of that.

But I am sorry if I did need to justify it by providing the details or it will help you. I do feel that you will agree that some clarification should be made in the NOOP section, but buried in other sections or maybe not.

But I leave it to the editor to decide what words he want if he wants it at all.

I didn't think this would be turned into a lengthy debate.

--
Sincerely

Hector Santos, CTO
http://www.santronics.com