Re: New Issue: NOOP clarification

2007-11-29 15:08:29
On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 15:29:44 EST, Hector Santos said:

    This command does not affect any parameters or previously entered
    commands.  It specifies no action other than that the receiver send
    an OK reply.  Server SHOULD ignore the NOOP command by issueing a
    250 response.

I wish I had a dollar for every time I've seen programmers and designers read
a SHOULD in an RFC, gone back and looked at what RFC2119 actually says:

3. SHOULD   This word, or the adjective "RECOMMENDED", mean that there
   carefully weighed before choosing a different course.

and then proceeded to do otherwise because they were righteous in their
faith that they had valid reasons and understood the full implications.

Heck, I'd take two bits and a nickel for each time I've seen somebody treat
a MUST as a MAY.....

If you want to make sure you get a 250 back, you should change that SHOULD
to a MUST - but I totally fail to see why you think that *any* amount of
explanatory verbiage will help with programmers who think that syntax errors
should get a 421..  I think *those* guys are pretty well summed like this:

"What we have heah, is a failure to communicate. There are some
programmers you just.. cahn't.. reach."