Re: email-arch -- comments solicited on I8N

2008-03-10 16:22:49

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
 >  John Levine <johnl(_at_)taugh(_dot_)com> wrote:
 >> I presume that we'll eventually use some version of punycode
 >
 > This is not really the approach taken by the EAI working group...

Well, these two notes in this thread nicely demonstrate a pitfal of attempting
to record the current architecture should not cite work underway or
possible for the future.  Things are too fluid and, therefore, unpredictable.

I believe all that can reasonably be in the document is something along the
lines of:

      Internet Mail standards currently support the use of non-ASCII character
      sets in the message body <rfc 2045> and header fields <rfc 2047>.

It's not header fields in general but only comments, free text and
some parameters. You therefore might want to consider saying "some
header fields". And you might also consider adding RFC 2231 as a reference.

 There
      is an open requirement for this capability in email addresses.

This is definitely all that should be said about email addresses at this
point. My understanding is that the output of EAI is experiemental. There's
a LONG way to go before this is a done deal.

                                Ned