Re: current usage of AAAA implicit MX?

2008-04-07 05:04:26

--On Sunday, 06 April, 2008 22:44 -0400 "Robert A. Rosenberg"
<hal9001(_at_)panix(_dot_)com> wrote:

Remember that the A-Fallback behavior is ONLY due to the
needs (back in the 1980s) of MTAs that were following the
pre-MX rule that you found an MTA by looking at the FQDN
A-Record group.

Robert,

Someone would need to check with Craig Partridge, but I believe
that "only" (or "ONLY") in the above is not strictly correct.
It may have been the primary reason, but, no matter how often
"only" is repeated a desire to permit minimal configurations
did, I am quite sure, figure in to the equation.

     john