Re: current usage of AAAA implicit MX?

2008-04-07 10:22:40

John C Klensin wrote:
--On Sunday, 06 April, 2008 22:44 -0400 "Robert A. Rosenberg"
<hal9001(_at_)panix(_dot_)com> wrote:
Remember that the A-Fallback behavior is ONLY due to the
needs (back in the 1980s)
Someone would need to check with Craig Partridge, but I believe
that "only" (or "ONLY") in the above is not strictly correct.
It may have been the primary reason, but, no matter how often
"only" is repeated a desire to permit minimal configurations
did, I am quite sure, figure in to the equation.

A side discussion about history might be interesting, but I'll suggest that it should not really be a factor for the current discussion. The reasons are:

1. It has a substantial installed base of use now.

2. There is a benefit in the feature, by virtue of reducing the effort to create and email receiving service, and in some environment the reduction is quite significant.

3. It is not generally recognized as causing any problems now.

What we need to do with this thread is end it.

d/

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking