Re: Unsticking rfc2821bis

2008-07-19 21:54:51

At 16:29 19-07-2008, Ned Freed wrote:
One thing that contribute to this accretion is narrowness of view. Say a couple
of documents come along that happen to share a problem. Why not make a rule to
address that? Seems quite in line with our general goal of trying to produce
the best documents possible, right? But while such "solutions" may address the
immediate problem, we almost always fail to consider the long term effects. We

That's why rules should not be crafted on the spur of the moment to address specific cases.

Even worse is the fact that quite often the rules we make fail to actually
solve the problem they are intended to solve. This is in part because we're

That's classic software engineering.

good at solving engineering problems but our expertise in solving human factor
problems is, um, limited.

I can understand that argument in the case of problems discussed in a WG. An organization still has to address such problems for it to function as a group of people coming together for a common purpose.

A good example of this is the I-D cutoff which we're dissuing right now on the
main IETF list. Irrespective of how important you think having a stable set of

And that was previously discussed not so long ago. If the same problem keeps repeating itself, then there is something wrong.