Re: Unsticking rfc2821bis

2008-07-18 16:32:07

On Jul 18, 2008, at 9:38 AM, John C Klensin wrote:

If you, or anyone else, believe that the IESG has gone too far
over toward rules and assertions of their own authority
vis-a-vis the community, tell it to the Nomcom and hope that
helps.

Or tell me if you have these concerns, or bring specific issues up publicly. It's too easy for guidelines to become rules, tools to create de facto rules, principles to become restrictions, loose consensus for specific cases to get applied as globally strong consensus. Organizations like the IESG accrete rules no matter who's in the IESG. Anybody play Fluxx? We need the rule reset card!

The case of example domain names was, as we've now noticed, one of those incrementally developed rules. The activity of lots of people avoiding non-2606 domains in lots of documents, a few case examples of harm, then the ID-Nits document, led a bunch of us to believe that the IETF had strong consensus not to use domain names except from 2606. The discussion on this list as well as the IETF general list made us realize there were exceptions.

Lisa