Who standardizes the standardization process? (was: Re: Unsticking rfc2821bis)

2008-07-18 02:35:26

Dave Crocker wrote:
[...], I'll nonetheless observe that anyone who actually thinks this sort of change is meaningful is suffering from some sort of underlying disease that is frankly dangerous.

I'm not criticizing making the change as the expedient it is intended to be. I'm criticizing the fact that there is a situation in which it serves as an expedient.

I think that kind of danger may become actual harm in the absence of suitable expedients, as e.g. in the MARID case that Frank recently recalled (http://www.imc.org/ietf-smtp/mail-archive/msg05068.html).

I'm not acknowledgeable in the intricacies of the standardization process, but I consider it an exercise in global democracy, and wonder if it is any better than traditional territorial-based representative politics.