Re: 2821bis AUTH48 fix (?) (was: 2821 5yz Typo - Client Retry Gaffe (fixed in 2821bis))

2008-08-11 08:07:27

At 04:41 PM 8/10/2008, John C Klensin wrote:
Substantive: Yes. Regardless of how one feels about this behavior in an alternate (perhaps even better) universe, in this one, there is just too much established practice consistent with Ned's description for second-guessing it to work. If someone wants something else, it is probably time to dust off and finish some flavor of per-recipient post-DATA reply model and see if it gets any traction.

A SMTP extension for per-recipient data responses (PRDR) was posted two years ago.

Procedural: It is probable that I can be talked into an AUTH48 change from "SHOULD not" to "SHOULD NOT" (and the RFC Editor may catch it first). But anyone wanting _any_ change more substantive than a change of case or similar editorial matter is going to need to go to the IESG, ask that the approval of 2821bis be withdrawn and that a Last Call be initiated on the change. If one were contemplating that, please do it soon, at least well within the appeal window because, if you expect me to do it quietly during AUTH48,... well, there is no chance.

Changing it into "SHOULD NOT" might make it clearer for some people. Note that the section is about hand-off of responsibility for delivering the message. I don't see the need for any substantial change.

Regards,
-sm