Re: 2821bis AUTH48 fix (?)

2008-08-11 09:58:08

At 07:21 AM 8/11/2008, John Leslie wrote:
   This text _is_ unnecessarily confusing.

The text will cause more confusion.

   It doesn't say _what_ the client shouldn't retry.

   And it only deprecates retry to the "same server".

The proposed change mentions a retry to the "same server". That not the way retry works. When you requeue a message for delivery, the next delivery attempt may go to a different server.

   Clearly, most of us have "assumed" what the client shouldn't retry
is the same triplet from-to-data; and assumed we shouldn't retry that
to any other MX server either.

That's the logic. Basically, it's about not bothering with a retry as we should be seeing the same behavior from other MX servers. Some people may point out that it's not always like that but that would be outside the scope of 2821bis.

Regards,
-sm