Re: Retry Strategies

2008-08-12 09:13:03

--On Tuesday, August 12, 2008 12:55 PM +0100 Paul Smith <paul(_at_)pscs(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk> wrote:

The issue is not the bugette in RFC 2821 which you keep
bringing up, but the definition of a 'message' in section
4.2.5. You think 'message' = 'message content'. Others think
'message' = 'sender/recipient/content triplet'.

While it is possible that places were missed, I was fairly careful, in 2821 and again with 2821bis, to use "message body" or "content" (the latter with or without "message") when the stuff between DATA<CRLF> and the <CRLF>.<CRLF> was intended. By itself, a "message" is isomorphic with a "mail transaction".

If there are places in the text that were not clear about that distinction, I would try to consider them editorial in 2821bis if they were identified now. If one disagrees with the distinction, that is a more substantive matter.

   john