Re: New Version Notification for draft-macdonald-antispam-registry-00

2010-03-25 14:36:20

On Thursday 25 March 2010 19:46:17 Jeff Macdonald wrote:
Thanks. I'll be working on an update incorporating public and private
comments.

Apart from phishing, there is no general purpose code to cover fraud attempts.

I don't consider fraud a subset of spam, and I'd expect that from a legal
point of view it is a completely different kind of a beast, calling for
quite different actions / countermeasures / legal response.

The anti-spam codes were determined by looking at error texts produced
by major ISPs and finding commonalities. The result is a new set of
error texts with associated extended SMTP error codes.

This ad-hoc approach of collecting error texts from random sites
to my eyes shows its origin way too boldly. I'd expect some better
structuring and generalizations, avoiding too specific references
to (a random subset of) anti-spam techniques which happen to be
in use today but may not be of value in ten years.

  Mark