Re: New Version Notification for draft-macdonald-antispam-registry-00

2010-03-26 12:14:40

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 08:50:19AM -0700, J.D. Falk wrote:

On Mar 25, 2010, at 1:56 PM, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:

I said this to Jeff in person at IETF but here it is for the list:

It's my understanding that this was based on a collection of various
SMTP text replies being returned by various ISPs when objectionable
content is presented for delivery.  Some similarities were noted, and
then some consolidation was attempted and aligned using the proposed
x.8.y codes.  There is to date no actual implementation of this, and
no information about how agents that observe these codes during SMTP
transactions (i.e. senders) would respond to them.  That is to say:
There's no implementation at either end yet.

I think that's fine for Informational or Experimental, but this draft
is seeking Proposed Standard status.  I'd like to see the results of
some implementation experiments at least.

Yup, me too.  I'd also be curious how the most common MTAs (sendmail,
postfix, exchange, etc) react to reply codes they've never seen before.
They /should/ handle 'em gracefully, but there could be surprises.

Has anyone heard of any problems dealing with Yahoo!'s 421 4.16.55?

  http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/postmaster/errors/421-ts01.html

If not, then we can probably expect the same with x.8.y, yes?

There's been some talk on one of the MAAWG lists about this, but it's
members-only; I'll encourage the participants to repost their comments here.

I'm interested in the SMTP conversation being the only conversation
that needs to take place about a given message.  To the extent that
something like this proposal can get me to that goal, without driving
follow up questions from senders (e.g., "I got 554 5.8.5 unacceptable
content; what do I have to do to make my content acceptable?") then
I'm interested in seeing this move forward.

--
Todd Herr
Principal Engineer and Postmaster              V: 703.345.2447