Re: slight update to draft-macdonald-antispam-registry

2011-05-11 07:07:04

I'm not following this thread closely, but I thought I'd say something about
extended status codes.  Part of the idea of extended status codes is that you
should be able to determine the likely source of the problem by looking at the
second facet of the status code.  Or to put it another way, the second facet of
the status code is supposed to indicate _who_ probably needs to fix the problem
(e.g. the sender, the MSA, a relay, the delivery agent, etc.)

When mail is blocked because of information from a party that is not actually
involved in transmission (e.g. a blackhole list), it makes sense to have a
separate 2nd facet code for this, because (in some sense) it's the blackhole
list that has to fix the problem before similar messages can be delivered in
the future.   But the list below mixes several different sources in the same
facet code.

Keith  (not the author of 1893, but I did come up with the scheme for numbering
extended status codes)