Re: abnf for <atext> in RFC 5321?

2011-05-11 16:19:07

<atext> seems to be an undefined rule in RFC 5321.

Its undefinition is unchanged from 2821.

This is being noticed in a couple of different fora, so it's worth
  resolving/fixing.

The definition in 5322, which is the same as 2822, seems appropriate.

Since it took ten years for anyone to notice this error, I agree it
would be nice to fix it, eventually, but not urgently.  I would be
happy to file an erratum along these lines:

Section 4.1.2 refers to the ABNF symbol atext, but does not define it.
The intended definition is the same as in RFC 5322.  Hence Section
4.1.2 currently says:

   Atom           = 1*atext

but it should say:

   Atom           = 1*atext

   atext          =   ALPHA / DIGIT /     ; Printable US-ASCII
                       "!" / "#" /        ;  characters not including
                       "$" / "%" /        ;  specials.  Used for atoms.
                       "~"

R's,
John