Re: slight update to draft-macdonald-antispam-registry

2011-05-11 16:17:54

On May 11, 2011, at 4:32 PM, Laura Atkins wrote:

On May 11, 2011, at 1:02 PM, John C Klensin wrote:

On 05/11/2011 08:04 PM, Keith Moore wrote:
I've suffered far more harm from people blocking my incoming
mail due to input from DNSBLs, than I've ever suffered from
spammers.

How I envy you.

I think it depends a bit on how one measures "harm".  I tend to
feel significantly harmed when legitimate messages (either ones
I send or ones that are sent to me) are not delivered -- even
one or two a month is an intolerable level.

I've yet to find a filter, even the "read every message and filter manually"
that doesn't occasionally mis-file a mail. For instance, my spam load is high
enough that I lose one or two messages a month just because they get mixed up
in the spam and manually deleted.

That's happened to me too.

This is the sort of thing that's going to vary from one recipient to another.
Not everyone gets the same amount, or kinds, of spam.  And not everyone's
livelihood depends on being able to reliably receive (nearly) every piece of
email.

Keith