Re: slight update to draft-macdonald-antispam-registry

2011-05-11 13:23:30
On May 11, 2011, at 11:19 AM, Dave CROCKER wrote:

On 5/11/2011 6:51 AM, John Levine wrote:
The problem I have with this argument is that blackhole lists, in my
experience, cause a large number of legitimate messages to fail to be
delivered.

Having gone to a lot of MAAWG meetings, and talked to people who run
the mail systems at every large ISP in the country, and quite a few in
other countries, I can report that their experience with DNSBLs is
utterly unlike yours.  There are plenty of incompetently run DNSBLs,
but nobody uses them so they don't matter.

Badly-run blacklists do cause problems.  But, then, few people choose to use
bad lists.

Blacklists are an integral part of real-world email operations today.

When thinking about the scale and number of the major email service
providers, it is not reasonable to suggest that they would continue that use
were there a significant problem with false positives.

I'm not so worried about the major providers.   Most of them seem to be
competent, these days.  But it was not always the case, and it might not always
be the case in the future.  We should be careful about overgeneralizing from
present circumstances.  The net changes dramatically every two years.

Keith