Re: slight update to draft-macdonald-antispam-registry

2011-05-11 13:24:21

John,

Assuming for the sake of argument that you're reporting the situation (mostly)
accurately for major ISPs, I still think it's important that blacklists and
reputation servers be explicitly cited when they're used to bounce a message.

It's certainly not the case that "nobody" uses incompetently run DNSBLs, even
if none of the major ISPs use them.   And it's not as if major ISPs handle all
of the incoming mail.  The standards exist for everyone, not just major ISPs.

I've suffered far more harm from people blocking my incoming mail due to input
from DNSBLs, than I've ever suffered from spammers.    But it's not as if one
is evil and the other isn't.  They're both evil.  Rather than trying to ignore
one kind of evil while blocking another, some sort of balanced approach seems
in order.

Keith