Re: Recipient is offline

2011-09-05 09:04:42

On 9/3/2011 10:02 AM, Tony Finch wrote:
On 3 Sep 2011, at 14:39, Dave CROCKER<dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net>  wrote:

I don't know why RFC 5321 fails to mention ATRN, since it as an enhancement
over ETRN.

ATRN is supposed to be used on the ODMR port, not port 25. The client and
server software tends to be separate from normal SMTP implementations.

Right.  Missed that point.

Still, it's a profile of SMTP and it's standards track. So I'd expect RFC 5321 to cite it, just as it cites Submission.

Demon Internet in the UK was unusual in using SMTP to deliver mail to its
users.
  The MTA was MMDF

And for those missing this essential bit of historical linkage: MMDF was the software used for CSNet's telephone relay, that prompted the suggestion for this capability -- what became the TURN capability during SMTP development. Having MMDF support the standardized, equivalent mechanism therefore would merely be natural...

ODMR is better than POP in retaining the message envelope and not having the
"keep mail on server" loophole.

+1

d/

--