Re: We need an IETF BCP for GREY LISTING

2011-10-17 17:15:28

On Oct 17, 2011, at 5:47 PM, Paul Smith wrote:

On 17/10/2011 18:46, Keith Moore wrote:

BTW, Keith, many GL servers already have responses with hints.
yes, I know.   but just because someone decided to add a %d to a printf
doesn't mean it should be standardized.

I must be missing something. I'm struggling to see why so many people think
that changing a server that gives a hint from saying

 421 This server implements greylisting, please try again in # seconds

to saying

 421 [retry=#s] This server implements greylisting, please try again in #
seconds

could possibly be a bad thing...

Anything that increases complexity of mail clients should be considered
suspect.   (i.e. it's not the burden on the server that I'm concerned about...)

That and it seems that we have a lot of people jumping on a bandwagon to define
something new without any reason to believe that it will provide a significant
benefit.

Every new RFC that needs to be written can, in some sense, be considered a
failure.... unless that RFC replaces some other document that was more
ambiguous or took up more pages.

Keith