Re: 4yz Temporary Rejections is part of the SMTP Protocol

2011-10-28 01:39:52

IME, most standard protocols (at least the goods one) where designed with the idea of flexibility and growth. If being creative is part of that process, then it was successful in its intent.

By your definition, writing SMTP extensions is a creative interpretation of the standard SMTP process which was meant to be locked in to any one particular method of usage. Nes Pas! And I believe you meant that.

We can only work with a common backbone mechanism that can not deviate. The SMTPGREY extension does not alter that. The questionable new issue, the "moving cheese" so to speak is using the text part to add more server information for the client to read because SMTP is currently is incapable of providing more response information outside the reply code. With the exception of Extended Status Code, its client/server negotiation capabilities are limiting and not backward compatible.

But it does not mean we can't use the text part because the Extended Status Codes standard proves we were willing to read more beyond the just the standard SMTP reply codes. Compliant clients can use the EXTENDEDSTATUSCODE to definitively get that "signal" that parsing text is possible for these special extended sections.

So what is different that a GREYLIST SMTP Extension Keyword offering? Really not that much difference idea.

One can make a note that the special reading is only possible when the GREYLIST service keyword is presence. Lets get that RFC2019 lingo correct.

I currently have it that its all optional because I did not wish to limit it to just EHLO sessions but also clients who issue HELO. The only MUST is when the server issues:

   250-GREYLIST RETRY

that a MUST was appropriate for it to add a "retry=time-delay" when its 4zy rejections are greylist related.

--
HLS

SM wrote:

Hi Hector,