Re: 4yz Temporary Rejections is part of the SMTP Protocol

2011-10-28 01:14:07

At 19:25 -0400 on 10/27/2011, Hector Santos wrote about Re: 4yz Temporary Rejections is part of the SMTP Protocol:

But we don't any think in SMTP that comes comes to parsing text for
anything, as far I   think of right now.

I beg to differ. It is my impression that when you attempt to send a message you can send an optional message size. This size information is scanned and used to short circuit the upload attempt if this will exceed the max attachment size or (possibly) if this will trigger a mailbox size exceeded condition. I may be wrong but it seems that this is an area where some scanning may be being done to improve processing (sending a too large attachment can thus be detected BEFORE DATA not at end of DATA time).