Ned Freed writes:
> I have no idea what Google does, but I can assure you Received:
> field analysis
> does play a role in spam filtering elsewhere. And even if it didn't, there's
> more to mail operations than spam filtering.

I think it might be helpful if someone would name or describe a largish
site or service provider that uses Recived, and describe how in useful
detail. "A spam/virus filter company that handles mail for about x million
mailboxes does ...", that kind of thing.

First, people have already been referred to SpamAssassin, which most definitely
does perform various checks on Received: fields. The code is out there; all
you need to do is look.

And SpamAssassin absolutely is used by large setups. (Whether or not it is an
appropriate tool for such use is another matter that I see no reason to get
into.)

Second, good luck on getting anyone to comment on the details of their own
secret sauce, or for that matter getting anyone who has learned such details
through business relationships. All such information is pretty much guaranteed
to be covered by confidentiality or nondisclosure agreements.

                                Ned