On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 06:48:37AM -0800, Ned Freed wrote:
I've lost track of the number of times I've patiently explained to someone
that
their problem was the result of crap service from their provider. I can count
on the fingers of no hands the number of times this has resulted in them
changing providers.

Likewise.  Users are unwilling to accept that their choice of email
provider is very poor *and* they're unwilling to pay even a small amount
to switch from bottom-feeding "freemail" providers to paid services
that at least make a plausible try at being responsible/competent.

Note as well that many operations that should know better are also
miserable at getting even the basics right: as one example of thousands,
I have a user who's a customer of a credit union that has had broken
rDNS in place for over a decade, has been notified multiple times
about it, and still hasn't managed to fix it.  (And of course they
don't have a working "postmaster" address either.)

Expecting users to do something, no matter how rational we might all
concur it would be, is a known-failed strategy.

---rsk