On 12/12/2015 20:12, Robert A. Rosenberg wrote:
At 09:57 +0000 on 12/11/2015, Paul Smith wrote about Re: [ietf-smtp] [Shutup] Proposed Charter for the "SMTP Hea:

On whether IP addresses are useful in Received headers...

This is something that happened to me yesterday:

A customer contacted me to say they'd been blocked by their ISP for sending spam. The ISP was less than helpful. The customer wanted to know if their network or mail server had been compromised in some way.

The Message-ID might also help point at the message not coming from the user. It is not an IP Address but it does show which mail server which was used to inject the message,
Unfortunately, that wouldn't have helped one iota in this instance.

The mail server was the 'correct' mail server.

Also, the message-id can be generated by the message sender, so the spambot could generate that, wherever it was.

To solve this, this IP address had to be available, either in the message headers, or some other way via the mail service provider.