At 09:57 +0000 on 12/11/2015, Paul Smith wrote about Re: [ietf-smtp] [Shutup] Proposed Charter for the "SMTP Hea:

On whether IP addresses are useful in Received headers...

This is something that happened to me yesterday:

A customer contacted me to say they'd been blocked by their ISP for sending spam. The ISP was less than helpful. The customer wanted to know if their network or mail server had been compromised in some way.

The Message-ID might also help point at the message not coming from the user. It is not an IP Address but it does show which mail server which was used to inject the message,