On 11/12/2015 20:35, Ted Lemon wrote:
Friday, Dec 11, 2015 1:24 PM Chris Lewis wrote:
By this measure, all the large free mail services are garbage because they
simply cannot afford to provide the level of service you're implying - a single
phone call puts them well into the negative income zone.
I have a gmail account.   It gets very little spam, gets the email that real people send
me, and delivers email from me to them fairly reliably.   And it's "free".
The test of a good service is not how good the customer service is when you call them:
it's whether you need to call them.   In practice, I do not.
We do need to call them. Frequently.

We frequently would LOVE to be able to communicate with them to ask why they are rejecting messages legitimate randomly, or whatever. Or, we'd like to tell them that one of their customers has set up forwarding from a proper email address to one of theirs, so THAT is why they're receiving so much spam from this IP address. And so on.

We can't call them (or email them), so we just end up telling people not to use gmail.

It's not just customers who need to contact mail administrators. It's people trying to send mail to them as well. That was the whole point of the 'postmaster' requirement (which still stands, and has not been deprecated, BTW). If gmail has such wonderful, perfect, spam filtering then they could easily put that onto their 'postmaster' address, and they wouldn't have any problems.