At 09:04 -0800 on 12/11/2015, Ned Freed wrote about Re: [ietf-smtp] [Shutup] Proposed Charter for the "SMTP Hea:

Q. "What does "mailbox full" mean and how do I fix it?"

A. (30 seconds of googling.) "Your mailbox is full because your quota looks to
   be about 1/100 what modern email systems typically provide. You need to
   switch to a provider with reasonable quotas."

If they are unwilling to switch providers, there is also the option (if using POP) of checking more often since (unless you say Leave on Server) that will clean out the Server Mailbox as you download. I helped a user who had this issue as well as a connection that would drop. I set the account to check often enough that the Server Mailbox did not fill up, marked it as "Leave On Server", and set a filter that marked the messages as "Delete From Server". That caused the successfully downloaded messages to get deleted during the next capture pass. I admit that it was a 2nd class Band-Aid but so long as the user would not change connectivity and hosting services it was the only viable solution (other than have GMAIL scrape the mailbox to keep it empty).