Re: [ietf-smtp] [Shutup] addresses as not easily changed identifiers, was Proposed Charter

2015-12-16 11:26:43
Wednesday, Dec 16, 2015 7:26 AM Rich Kulawiec wrote:
The expectation that users will behave rationally and in their own best
interest has no basis in reality.

I am baffled by statements like this.   I feel that I have to criticize what
you have said.   I know this is going to come across as unkind, but that's not
my intention--I really am just baffled.   The problems with what you have said
are several:

- It is not based on a statistically valid survey
- It suffers from squeaky-wheel confirmation bias
- What you mean by "in their own best interest" is almost certainly not an
accurate understanding of how the people in your anecdotal sample actually
perceive their interests, and that is why you find their behavior puzzling and
have developed such a degree of cynicism and disrespect toward them.

This is not a good way for us to reason about any problem.   Please let us not
do so.

--
Sent from Whiteout Mail - https://whiteout.io

My PGP key: https://keys.whiteout.io/mellon(_at_)fugue(_dot_)com