Re: [ietf-smtp] persistent identifiers, was Proposed Charter

2015-12-11 16:03:54
there are protocols we could make more hostile to the use of email
addresses and other inappropriate strings as long-term
identifiers ...

I suppose we could deprecate it ?

Not until we come up with something better.

People usually* know what their e-mail addresses are, and this avoids
a step where people try to invent a user name and keep being told
nope, already taken.  So I'm jlevine, jrlevine, jrlevine2, and so on
and so forth.  That's not going to fly.

OpenID would be nice if it worked better and it weren't usually tied
to an e-mail address.

R's,
John

* - give or take all the ones who imagine that my gmail address is
their gmail address