Re: [ietf-smtp] persistent identifiers, was Proposed Charter

2015-12-13 11:38:55

On 12/12/2015 19:19, Robert A. Rosenberg wrote:
At 22:03 +0000 on 12/11/2015, John Levine wrote about Re: [ietf-smtp] persistent identifiers, was Proposed Charte:

* - give or take all the ones who imagine that my gmail address is
their gmail address

I know have you feel. I have an AOL address that I have had since AOL started and I have at least lots of people who seem to think it is theirs and use it. Right now I am getting email from a Doctor's group and a Condo in California. Worse I get credit card statements, hotel reservation, etc. to that address. I wonder what they think when they never get their email. I have given up on sending a message to the contact for a list to contact the person some other way to get their correct email address. Once or twice when the message has had a Phone Number or Snail Mail address I make the effort to contact them to tell them but in most cases I do not bother to contact them or to unsub from the list.

It's not just gmail.

We get people using our pscs.com domain as if it's theirs as well... I frequently get emails asking me to approve access to websites on pscs.com addresses. I also have emails thanking me for booking Hilton Hotel rooms and various US airline tickets, as well as several US banks sending me statements. (These aren't spam, but actual real messages for real bookings or real bank accounts). The problem is that it's nigh on impossible to sort it out. I don't know the person's actual email address, and if I email Hilton, the airlines or the banks to say that the email address is wrong, I get accused of all sorts... I've given up now.

The scary thing is that I suspect I could go to at least some of the websites, attempt to log in and ask for a password reset email !

The fact is that most people do not really care about privacy! Them volunteering to send me their credit card statements proves that. Hiding IP addresses pales into insignificance alongside that.