--On Friday, December 11, 2015 18:13 +0000 Richard Clayton
<richard(_at_)highwayman(_dot_)com> wrote:

In message <AC7252BB0B3564DD89DD27B0(_at_)JcK-HP8200(_dot_)jck(_dot_)com>,
John
C Klensin <john-ietf(_at_)jck(_dot_)com> writes

there
are protocols we could make more hostile to the use of email
addresses and other inappropriate strings as long-term
identifiers

actually, as a community we have made it easier for
organisations to use email addresses as long term identifiers
with the advent of RRVS

        https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7293

I would categorize that work as "if one is going to do that, it
is better to get it right" rather than "making it easier" or
"encouraging it".  So I don't see any inconsistency between that
spec and a recommendation that use of email addresses as primary
personal identifiers is a bad idea.  YMMD.