actually, as a community we have made it easier for organisations to use
email addresses as long term identifiers with the advent of RRVS

        https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7293

I have to say I never thought of it that way before, but of course you're
right.

but this is an area in which a clear
recommendation from the IETF or IAB might actually be helpful.

I suppose we could deprecate it ?

You're joking, of course, but this is worth a moment of serious consideration.

Provider and thus email address lock-in is clearly to the advantage of ISPs and
MSPs that view their email service as a source of revenue (ads, branding,
marketing data, whatever). As such, not only will they have no interest
in any move towards eliminating that lock-in, they may well be actively
antagonistic towards it.

And at this point I fear that the shift to the use of such providers has
reached a point where anything the IETF says or does is going to be irrelevant.

                                Ned