On 11 December 2015 at 15:23, Paul Smith <paul(_at_)pscs(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk>
wrote:
On 11/12/2015 14:48, Ted Lemon wrote:

Friday, Dec 11, 2015 9:40 AM Paul Smith wrote:

Unfortunately, the rest of us live in the real world...

As far as I know it's not possible to live in an unreal world.  But if
your point is that most of us just have to accept garbage service, that's
incorrect.

Yes it is incorrect that we have to accept garbage service. We don't. We use
good service providers.

But that's not what I was saying. Trying to get a *customer* to change
provider doesn't work. We suggest it all the time - there are many BIG,
crap, providers in the UK, and most people use them, even though they are
obviously crap. The users won't change, however much you tell them to. I
think I could count on one hand the number of our customers who have changed
from a rubbish provider to a good one in the past 10 years. I've lost count
of the number who have gone the other way, against our recommendation,
because the new provider is 'cheaper', or it's who the MD uses at home or
something.

I've worked for several of them (the crap ones). Almost all of the
staff use a much better provider for their own services.

I've also seen some of the economics involved in the support operation
of BigISP - you can easily see how much the price of the service would
have to go up in order to provide people who know something about the
internet on the end of the phones. And the customer won't pay for
that.

(I'm guessing you knew this).

So the 'this won't work in the real world' is absolutely true. Much as
we would wish it wasn't.

Peter