Friday, Dec 11, 2015 9:30 AM Martijn Grooten wrote:
I think a good ISP should show its customers which IP addresses were
used to log into the mail server. Doing so by adding them to the
Received header sounds like an unnecessarily complicated and noisy
way of doing that.

I think this is right.   A lot of what I am seeing here as examples are
situations where someone with some technical know-how and a bunch of leaked
info is able to give an end-user help that they otherwise would have not been
able to get without the help of their service provider, with the result that
the end-user continues to use the service provider that has utterly failed them.

What should actually happen here is that the end-user should say "huh, my
service provider isn't helping me, I should switch to someone who provides
better service."   By making it possible for Marlin B. Rando to diagnose their
problem (at the expense of _everybody's_ privacy), you are not really helping
them.   You are short-circuiting a feedback channel that would, if you didn't
short-circuit it, actually do a better job of correcting the problem.

--
Sent from Whiteout Mail - https://whiteout.io

My PGP key: https://keys.whiteout.io/mellon(_at_)fugue(_dot_)com