Re: [ietf-smtp] Possible cont4ibution to moving forward with RFC5321bis SMTP

2020-01-02 13:34:27
On 1/2/20 2:08 PM, Dave Crocker wrote:

I mean a server that accepts incoming mail on behalf of a mail domain.  Normally they are advertised using MX records.  Sorry if that wasn't clear; I thought "MX server" would be an unambiguous shorthand.

To me the point at which a message crosses a boundary between mail domains

ahh.  ack.

You meant something like: "the sequence of hops starting with the MSA and ending with the receiving MTA at the destination site".

Actually I was trying to focus on the single hop between the last MTA of an originating domain and the first MTA of the destination domain.

I'd misunderstood and thought you meant that the MSA interacted directly with the receiving MTA.

That is possible (and in some cases desirable IMO).   But it's neither required, nor what I understand to be typical of today's operations.

(At the same time I question the assumption that all uses of IP address literals in EHLO can reasonably be confined to submissions.)

Keith