Re: [ietf-smtp] Possible contribution to moving forward with RFC5321bis SMTP

2020-01-02 15:58:55
On 1/2/20 4:49 PM, John C Klensin wrote:

If we are going to treat RFC 5598 and/or the discussions that
led up to it as final and normative

For multiple reasons, I recommend that we NOT do that.   It might make sense to consider it as a starting point for language used in 5321bis, and perhaps, to revise 5598 in light of the 5321bis discussions, probably after the bits are dry for 5321bis.

But no matter what 5598 or any successor document says, people are going to continue to use e.g. "MTA" in several of slightly varying ways, depending on context.

Keith