Re: [ietf-smtp] Stray <LF> in the middle of messages

2020-06-06 15:04:07

--On Saturday, June 6, 2020 19:36 +0100 Paul Smith
<paul(_at_)pscs(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk> wrote:

I suppose with a submission server you could be more flexible,
but, to be honest, I've *never* come across a case where not
treating a lone LF as a line break has been a problem.

And that is exactly why the last sentence of the introductory
paragraph of Section 8 of RFC 4409 says:

        "Any message forwarded or delivered by the MSA MUST
        conform to the requirements of [SMTP-MTA] and
        [MESSAGE-FORMAT]."

In other words, perfectly reasonable for a submission server to
reach a local agreement that bare LFs are to be treated as line
terminators but, by the time the message reaches the public
Internet, it needs to have fixed those.