Re: [ietf-smtp] Stray <LF> in the middle of messages

2020-06-12 01:01:03

--On Wednesday, June 10, 2020 06:34 -0400 Valdis Klētnieks
<valdis(_dot_)kletnieks(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu> wrote:

(When Clarkson got on the Arpanet in summer 1984, the 30 or so
Sun and Unix boxes added an entire 1% to the size of the
Internet, which was only around 3,000 directly connected
machines at the time. And I had to hear in details what Russ
Nelson thought of Microsoft's OS because he was writing the
packet drivers in the cubicle next to mine. :)

I can't remember the exact timing (Ned probably would), but
there were also VAX/VMS machines running native Internet stacks
and PDMF by that time.   VMS, IIR, preferred to use records with
length counts rather than any flavor of line terminators.    But
that doesn't change your conclusion about MSDOS having nothing
to do with the decisions -- as I think someone else pointed out,
CRLF was established as a convention for email messages with
mail-over-FTP, long before even 821/822.