Re: [ietf-smtp] Stray <LF> in the middle of messages

2020-06-10 08:16:47
On 10/06/2020 12:33, Keith Moore wrote:

The CRLF convention for transfer of Internet text files (in FTP, which was the first protocol used to send email on the ARPAnet), predates the existence of both PC-DOS and MacOS by several years.   I am guessing that FTP got its end-of-line convention for text files from TELNET.

Strictly speaking, CRLF is the "right" one to use given those control codes' definitions.

CR takes you back to the start of the current line, and LF takes you to the next line (at the current position), so to get to the start of the next line, you need either CRLF or LFCR (AIUI CRLF was chosen to give the print head more time to go back to the start of the line).

I remember sending CR (without LF) to a printer, and then reprinting the last line to make it print 'bold'.

--
Paul

--

Paul Smith Computer Services