Re: [ietf-smtp] Stray <LF> in the middle of messages

2020-06-10 06:33:23
On 6/8/20 10:03 AM, Hector Santos wrote:

Maybe because at that point in time, Microsoft had owned 90% of the growing Personal Computer (PC) market.  The Mac was still considered (legally) a luxury commodity (otherwise their anti-trust status would no longer apply), and *nix was still mostly at the IT networking level.

The CRLF convention for transfer of Internet text files (in FTP, which was the first protocol used to send email on the ARPAnet), predates the existence of both PC-DOS and MacOS by several years.   I am guessing that FTP got its end-of-line convention for text files from TELNET.

Of the systems in use on the early ARPAnet, I have read that TOPS-10 supported CRLF as line terminators.  I recall correctly from some of the early RFCs listing ARPAnet hosts (back when the ARPAnet was small) TOPS-10 systems were a bit more widely represented than others.   But I don't know how much this had to do with the selection of CRLF.   There were very many conventions in use for representation of text files, and some systems even supported multiple representations and even multiple sizes for characters (5, 6, 7, 8, or 9 bits) on the same system.

CRLF also may have had an advantage in that text files using that representation could be sent directly to an ASCII terminal (like a teletype or CRT) or printer without the need for translation.

Keith