Re: [ietf-smtp] Stray <LF> in the middle of messages

2020-06-06 16:02:39
In article <4efb92cb-9657-15eb-11f5-b6057f691505(_at_)pscs(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk>
you write:
From personal experience - the mail server we publish *used* to treat
either LF or CRLF as a line ending. That stopped over 20 years ago

I think that's the key observation. Back in ye olden days there might
have been real mail systems that send bare LF but I haven't seen one
in a long time.

I also agree with the observation that defects in the SMTP protocol
are a very reliable indicator that you're talking to spamware. That's
why after all these years greylisting is still fairly effective. About
40% of the hosts that I greylist never retry.

--
Regards,
John Levine, johnl(_at_)taugh(_dot_)com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet