Re: [ietf-smtp] parsing SMTP replies

2021-03-22 03:45:30

On 22 Mar 2021, at 01:16, Hector Santos
<hsantos=40isdg(_dot_)net(_at_)dmarc(_dot_)ietf(_dot_)org> wrote:

On 3/17/2021 10:39 PM, Keith Moore wrote:
On 3/17/21 9:37 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:

I believe that the generally good track record of historical
interoperability of SMTP implementations goes back to what's in section
4.5.3 of RFC 821, that gives the minimal limits of various things, like
line lengths. And, incidentally, the minimum number of recipients that an
SMTP server should accept is 100 recipients.

It's been a long time but I'm pretty sure I've seen situations in which it
made sense for the recipient limit to be 1.�� For example: a special-purpose
device (e.g. email to fax, email to printer) or a gateway to a dissimilar
mail system, or anything for which it makes sense to insist that
per-recipient errors get immediately reported to the client.

Despite any standard, pseudo or otherwise, the ultimate limit is the local
receiver/system and the minimum for a protocol complete SMTP transaction
would be 1.

Our system has no limit out of the box and its system wide (global registry
value). No current out of the box logic per user.  There might be a 3rd party
RCPT command override p-code script (smtpcmd-rcpt.wcx) that may place a
limit.  Can't a typical system handle 1000, 10K, 100K+ RCPTs?  How does a big
list send mail 1 million subscribers?

Most of the very big senders, the ones sending to hundreds or millions of
people at a time, use VERP. Depending on what is known about the domain MXs
they open a set of connections and send the mail. Most of the bulk mail is sent
with one RCPT TO:. This is true for marketing mail but even more true for
transactional mail.

 When our MLS is going thru a submission distribution, it has a transport to
SMTP or create UUCP-ready files option.  The former method gets to learn from
the SMTP receiver RCPT responses where a permanent 5yz result could
unsubscribe the user after a number of consecutive different message times.
Any permanent negative results with the intention of just being a limit could
be interpreted as a user does no longer exist.

I may have agreed with you a decade ago. But that’s not true for modern bulk
senders. Bounces are classified and sorted. We are long past the days where any
permanent negative result is interpreted as a user no longer exists.
(https://wordtothewise.com/2019/11/theres-something-about-bounces/)

laura

--
Having an Email Crisis?  We can help! 800 823-9674

Laura Atkins
Word to the Wise
laura(_at_)wordtothewise(_dot_)com
(650) 437-0741