Re: [ietf-smtp] parsing SMTP replies

2021-03-23 10:46:25
On 3/22/2021 2:23 PM, John C Klensin wrote:
Ned, Laura,

Just a thought, based on little thinking and less information:
Are there any plausible circumstances in which a system might
want to encourage rolling up a few MXs but not very many?  If
so, that would turn it into a limit, rather than requiring a
separate announcement keyword.  I'm having trouble imagining
such a case, so, if the answer is "no", don't bother with a
detailed explanation.   However, because I think there is value
in minimizing the number of announcements, the question seems
worth asking.

If I may ....

If you are referring to situations similar to where private domains are being hosting by a 3rd party vendors or even a free ESP network, i.e. private-domain.com hosted by Yahoo's MX or by Microsoft MX's, etc, yes, it has created a delivery problem. The Outbound Queuing Strategies (OQS) need to be adjusted/sorted by MX (and thus IP). A rule that may say: "My-Special-Customer.Com gets sending priority over gmail.com" no longer applies when the special customer has decided to be hosted by gmail.com.

--
Hector Santos,
https://secure.santronics.com