Re: [ietf-smtp] parsing SMTP replies

2021-03-22 13:24:09

--On Monday, March 22, 2021 08:57 -0700 Ned Freed
<ned(_dot_)freed(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com> wrote:

It's somewhat temping to add some sort of "the MXes pointing
at this server can be rolled up" indicator to the limits
specification, but since it's not a limit it doesn't really
fit. If done it needs to be a separate EHLO announcement.

Ned, Laura,

Just a thought, based on little thinking and less information:
Are there any plausible circumstances in which a system might
want to encourage rolling up a few MXs but not very many?  If
so, that would turn it into a limit, rather than requiring a
separate announcement keyword.  I'm having trouble imagining
such a case, so, if the answer is "no", don't bother with a
detailed explanation.   However, because I think there is value
in minimizing the number of announcements, the question seems
worth asking.