Re: prohibiting RFC publication

2000-04-10 00:00:02
At 10:33 AM 4/9/00 -0400, Fred Baker wrote:
wrestled to the appearance of support as standards. We're all aware of cases where something was poublished as informational, experimental, etc, and the next press release announced support of that "standard", and of cases where RFCs, like IP on Avian Carriers, started winding up on RFPs simply because it was an RFC, and therefore "must" be the standard. This is another case of meaning dilution that I worry about.

In absolute terms, these misuses/abuses of RFC reference are quite bothersome.

However they have been a fact of life pretty much forever. Absent evidence that they have become a more serious problem than usual, the noise-factor of the misuses does not seem to cause enough community damage to warrant changing existing practise.

(I didn't read your note, Fred, as promoting a change, but others have been in favor of it.)

=-=-=-=-=
Dave Crocker  <dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>
Brandenburg Consulting  <www.brandenburg.com>
Tel: +1.408.246.8253,  Fax: +1.408.273.6464
675 Spruce Drive,  Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA