Re: draft-ietf-nat-protocol-complications-02.txt

2000-04-22 19:10:03

and just because I'm arguing against the above kinds of statements doesn't
mean that I think we can convince folks to just discard their NATs.  I do
however think that folks may be willing to upgrade and/or replace their
NATs once something better exists that allows them to run applications that
they can't run with current NATs.  and I don't know of any way to
improve things that doesn't require replacing/upgrading NATs in some sense.

Keith .I have been following this thread for some time and I am in total agreement with your position and the position of the IAB on this issue.

However we seem to be missing a rational strategy for dealing with the Layer 8 [economic] issue here which is the greed of the general ISP community in matters involving the issuance of IP numbers, especially in the emerging home based SOHO broadband industry, cable or DSL.

Beyond the ongoing problem of installation nightmares, which are well documented in every print publication I see. We are hearing daily stories of 49.95 a month for DSL service with 1 IP address but if you want 5 its 79.95 for "business class service". The ISP assumes that if you want more than 1 IP address you are running a server, forget that it could be a service like IPP, but some e-commerce site or whatever.

Our distinguished colleague Vint Cerf highlights these issues, once again, in the latest issue of Upside May 2000 page 204 ( no its not online yet ).

Though I know this list is often populated with folks with a libertarian bent, may I remind some that there is one other form of global numbering that is allocated on a reasonable, fair and equitable basis to all comers. Telephone Numbers. This process is political but it works ( unless you live in Northern California ).

The problem is not NAT's. The problem is why people have to use NAT's...they can't get the numbers they need or want, in large measure, due to the greed of ISP's.

The problem, as I see it is really a Layer 9 issue [politicial] which is we have no national policy in the US, or any where else on the planet, for the issuance of IP addresses on request to those consumers or businesses who need them on a fair and equitable basis consistent with the requirements of the routing tables.

And yes I have a credit card ready, willing and able to purchase service for an ISP willing to give be a nice block of IP V6 numbers ( 50 will do ) at a reasonable price and the support necessary to implement them.

Dr. Cerf ..you have a customer.

Richard Shockey
Shockey Consulting LLC
8045 Big Bend Blvd. Suite 110
St. Louis, MO 63119
Voice 314.918.9020
eFAX Fax to EMail 815.333.1237 (Preferred for Fax)
INTERNET Mail & IFAX : rshockey(_at_)ix(_dot_)netcom(_dot_)com
GSTN Fax 314.918.9015
MediaGate iPost VoiceMail and Fax 800.260.4464